We already know that making great content is the best strategy for marketing in 2020, which is why marketers and content creators are constantly vying for the most shareable and engaging content. Over the past few years, this has lead to a steady increase in companies pumping out videos across their social media channels. Video marketing is the not-so-secret key for boosting sales and it’s no longer an option, it’s a necessity.
Now that we’ve rung in the New Year, here are some 2020 video marketing trends that you should pay close attention to…
Why Video Marketing Is Important
In order to stay relevant and competitive in today’s market, video is a must. The reason people love video is it doesn’t take any work to digest! We don’t need to read, we don’t need to think, we simply watch and listen.
If you’re still hesitant to jump on the video marketing train – here are some details you might want to take into consideration:
- 58% of consumers trust a brand with videos more than a brand without (Animoto)
- Including video in your email marketing increases CTR (click-through rate) by 63% (Social Media Today)
- Videos are shared on social media 1200% more than images and text combined (Social Media Today)
- 78% of people watch online videos every week, and 55% view online videos every day. (HubSpot)
- 64% of consumers are most likely to buy a product after watching a video about it (Social Media Today)
- Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video, compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Insivia)
It should be obvious right now that videos are the way of the future – they’re here to stay.
2020 Video Marketing Trends
Optimizing Videos For Social
If you’re trying to figure out how to market your videos differently this year, look no further than optimizing your clips for each medium/format. In 2020, there is going to be a huge focus on optimizing content based on how each person digests it on each platform. Gone are the days where you could upload one video file to every platform and have it just work. Now, there are different shapes and sizes of videos, different time lengths and even different ways that it’s digested. Make sure that all your video content is high quality and meets the specific requirements of each specific platform like square videos for Facebook and vertical videos for Instagram.
Facebook will show favoritism to videos that are uploaded natively. Don’t believe us? Try uploading a video to YouTube and sharing the video link to Facebook. Then a few days later, try uploading the video directly to Facebook and watch it soar. By uploading natively to each platform, this will help the video to stand out on the newsfeed and should help grow your engagement.
Target Your Audience
Another trend we forecast to be popular this year is getting hyper-targeted with your messaging. Messages will be customer-based and ultra-targeted. It will make a huge difference in your marketing because each person will feel like the content was created just for them.
If you’re looking to hit different types of audiences, you can leverage the Facebook ‘custom audiences’ feature. You can create a ‘warm’ list of people who watch and engage with your stuff already. Next, you can create a lookalike audience to find prospects that look and act just like your warm watchers.
Instagram stories will continue to take over.
Viewers like Instagram stories because they feel more transparent than most of the content posted on social media. Stories open viewers up to an inside look that planned content simply can’t recreate.
People love to see behind the scenes, sneak peeks of new products, promotional codes/discounts, etc. It makes them feel like they are special and that they are part of something bigger than themselves.
Video marketing in Google Ads.
In 2020, there’s a good chance you’re going to see more and more marketers turn to Google Ads for videos. Google video ads appear on YouTube or in their extended network of websites. We already know that YouTube is the world’s second most used search engine, which is why your video marketing strategy needs to consider incorporating video ads.
People will interact with videos more.
Virtual reality is expanding every day and we will only see more ways that you can interact with your world through video.
Video Marketing Best Practices
If while reading this article you’ve started to think, “Wow, I need to get on board with the video marketing trend,” you’re right! But first let’s talk about some best practices you need to follow:
- Keep your focus simple. Don’t confuse your audience by trying to cover multiple topics. Be straight forward and get to the point – people are looking for answers and information. Give them what they’re looking for.
- Keep your videos short. Each social media channel has an ideal video length. Twitter should be no longer than 30 seconds. Instagram can be between 30 to 60 seconds. Facebook should be 1 minute and YouTube should be about 2 minutes. (Hubspot)
- Add a call to action at the end of your video. You have to pretend as though your audience is unintelligent. If you don’t tell them what to do next – they won’t do it.
- Include captions in your videos. Most people watch videos on their mobile devices or computers without sound so add subtitles so they can still understand your message.
In this day and age we have all of the tools to grow our businesses right in our pockets. It’s time to enter 2020 with a bang and start making some videos!
If you’re ready to discuss your video marketing strategy for 2020 and beyond, feel free to reach out to ZMBmedia today!